Wednesday 1 February 2012

Fiction Adaptation: Brief

For our Fiction Adaptation unit we will need to produce a 2-3 minute film based on one of the 5 poems we have been provided with the choices are:
  • Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll
  • The Listeners by Walter de la Mare
  • The Burning of the Leaves by Laurence Binyon
  • The Horses by Ted Hughes
  • An Arundel Tomb by Philip Larkin
When we were first given these poems I got really frustrated as I could not understand any of them but after having a lecture today I know that the adaptation does not have to be literal which made me alot more settled. I'm now thinking of doing the "Jabberwocky" as I can be really creative with this poem and interpret it in alot of different ways.

We will also have to produce an essay answering the question:

"In adapting a novel the adaptor inevitably infringes the integrity of the original text - discuss with reference to at least one adaptation."


For this question we will have to know both the book and the adaptation really well so that we have alot to talk about.
I have started to think about what book I will use and I think I will either use Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" as I know that this has been made into 2 big budget films or I might choose to use Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" as I studied this play in depth at school and also know that it has been adapted many times.

1 comment:

  1. Glad that the lecture helped give you some inspiration. Also - for the essay you can also draw upon examples which are discussed in the texts on the reading list - there are plenty which will add evidence to your work. Make sure you choose a text which gives you plenty of scope and remember - it asks you to look at "at least one" - so more than one really!

    ReplyDelete